My stepmom Ann called Friday to tell me of the death of Tim Russert. Did she have any idea she was going to distract me from all else this weekend? I've watched every detail my family will allow of the coverage of his tributes. Russert was such an honest, thorough journalist and I long admired his passion for politics. I was lucky to intern with him for 'Meet the Press.' He did an exit interview with the interns. I don't really remember what he told me (another incentive to write more in my journal), but I DO remember how I felt in his office. Russert was everything people have said about him... everyone's father. He was warm, caring and geniune. I remember his sincerity and real interest in my future. Russert's office was not fancy or excessive in awards, but had this warmth to it. I used to love dropping stuff off to his office because it was like a breath of fresh air from an intense newsroom.
There's another thing that I've LOVED about the coverage of Russert's death -- the return of Tom Brokaw. I love his voice, ability to phrase things and as Jill and I always say, "sexy voice!" I was so impressed how Brokaw was able to keep his composure while talking about one of his dearest friends, co-workers. (I'd be fine if he was the next 'Meet the Press' host!)

While on memory lane, I saw on interview Friday night with Betsy Fisher, above left. She is now the excutive producer of 'Meet the Press.' I kept rewinding my TV to make sure it was really her. I was an intern at 'Meet the Press' with Betsy. She and I sat at this table together and prepared packets of news clips for the guests. We would cut out newspaper headlines and background research that was going to be talked about on that Sunday's show. It was a very low-tech process, I'm sure that has all changed with the Internet. Betsy had plans to go to law school and I went off to a mission to Guatemala. Somehow, they persuaded Betsy to stay. I'm so glad they allowed her to come on the tribute show of 'Meet the Press' as I KNOW she was side by side with Russert working closer than anyone to make that week's show work. Our lives went different ways, but it was fun to see someone my age running the whole show! WOW!
4 comments:
I was plugging along on the elliptical and very bored with what was on the TV screens above my head. When I saw the news break in to regular programming I stopped to check it out. When Mr. Brokaw appeared on the screen I knew something bad had happened. What was he doing there? When he reported the tragic death of his friend I knew the first person I had to call at that very moment was you. What a loss. I cried through Meet The Press this morning. The start of the show with the empty chair set me off and I was glued word for word for the whole show. Who will the next host be? I feel bad for them because the shoes are too big to fill. Brokaw? He would be the dream replacement, but I bet he will pass on the day in and day out grind. Been there, done that. Let me know if you hear the scoop.
I watched the whole show from your blog. Listening to him and Doris Kearns Goodwin during the last election was the best I thought. Who will make this election come together? Will it be another 20 years before someone comes along with his passion for the process yet alone his personality?
Congrats on being the biggest loser. Can we play from long distance?
I truly loved seeing you during my short stay in Dallas. If you ever want to do a girls weekend let's hit the Biltmore.
Sorry for Mom's novels - I have tried to tell her to stop the novels - But I loved your post! and Mom just told me about livestrong. YOUR AMAZING! For real why didn't anyone tell me my sister is famous?
You made the right decision! We both know it was our missions and being geeky RM's that made you and I friends for life. THEN it was news and our love of Brokaw and crazy sleepless nights! Great tribute, Sharisa.
Post a Comment